Scquizzato T, Landoni G, Ristagno G, Pruna A, Zangrillo A.
Eur J Emerg Med. 2023 Feb 1;30(1):47-48. doi: 10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000917. Epub 2022 Dec 19.
On 20 February 2020, the first patient with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) was admitted to an ICU in Lombardy, Italy. Since then, emergency medical services (EMS) and ICUs were rapidly overstrained with COVID-19 patients requiring intensive care support, exceeding the prepandemic ICU capacity [1,2]. Thus, having an early indicator of ICU demand is critical to adequately manage the outbreak and adjust ICU capacity accordingly [1,2]. We hypothesized that emergency calls for respiratory problems received by EMS dispatch centers during the pandemic could be an early indicator of subsequent ICU demand. In addition, we attempted to determine the more accurate time lag.
Share on social media
Scquizzato T, Landoni G, Ristagno G, Pruna A, Zangrillo A. Emergency calls as an early indicator of intensive care unit demand for coronavirus disease 2019. Eur J Emerg Med. 2023;30(1):47-48. doi:10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000917
- Grasselli G, Pesenti A, Cecconi M. Critical care utilization for the COVID-19 outbreak in Lombardy, Italy: early experience and forecast during an emergency response. JAMA 2020;323:1545–1546.
- Zangrillo A, Beretta L, Silvani P, Colombo S, Scandroglio AM, Dell’Acqua A, et al. Fast reshaping of intensive care unit facilities in a large metropolitan hospital in Milan, Italy: facing the COVID-19 pandemic emergency. Crit Care Resusc 2020;22:91–94.
- COVID-19: COVID-19 Italia – Monitoraggio situazione 2021. https://github.com/pcm-dpc/COVID-19. [Accessed 16 August 2021]
- Salvioli L. Coronavirus in Italia, i dati e la mappa. Il Sole 24 ORE 2020. https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/. [Accessed 16 August 2021]
- R Core Team (2021). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. https://www.R-project.org/.
- Lapostolle F, Goix L, Vianu I, Chanzy E, De Stefano C, Gorlicki J, et al. COVID-19 epidemic in the Seine-Saint-Denis Department of Greater Paris: one month and three waves for a tsunami. Eur J Emerg Med 2020;27:274–278.