Tommaso Scquizzato is a researcher and innovator in cardiac arrest, resuscitation, critical care, and healthcare technology with a background in mobile app development. He is also the Social Media Editor of Resuscitation, member of the Social Media Working Group of ILCOR, and member of the ERC BLS Science and Education Committee.READ MORE
Tommaso Scquizzato studies Medicine and Surgery at Vita-Salute San Raffaele University in Milan, Italy, among the top Italian universities and located inside the largest scientific campus with the highest scientific output in the country.
He does research in the Center for Intensive Care and Anesthesiology of San Raffaele Hospital in Milan, Italy. His areas of interest are resuscitation, cardiac arrest, pre-hospital emergency medicine, and medical technology. Since 2017 and during medical school, he authored more than 40 scientific publications and presented at more the 10 national and international conferences in these fields. He mainly published about out-of-hospital cardiac arrests, in particular how to improve survival by alerting citizens through mobile apps, and the use of technology in emergency and critical care medicine. During the COVID-19 pandemic, he investigated the effect of the pandemic on out-of-hospital cardiac arrests and on the use of ambulance and emergency department services.
In 2018, he curated the opening of the social media accounts of the Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care of the hospital where he works and he is currently the social media editor. As a medical student, he attended the emergency department, the pre-hospital emergency service, and the cardiothoracic anesthesia and intensive care department.
Tommaso is also a software developer skilled in designing and developing mobile apps. When he was 12, he learned to code, and in the following years, he started working as a freelance web and app designer/developer. Since 2011, he developed more than 50 apps or websites and held numerous programming courses for individuals and national organizations, including Allianz, the University of Padua, and Regione Del Veneto.
In 2014, he received the title of “Alfiere della Repubblica Italiana” from the President of the Republic, Giorgio Napolitano, for having developed a smartphone application to teach how to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation in case of sudden cardiac arrest.
Tommaso is active on social media, you can find him on Twitter (@tscquizzato), Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn and is open to collaboration and new projects, both in the field of research and technology, get in touch.
- Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest
- Extracorporeal Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (E-CPR)
- New technologies in cardiac arrest
- Pre-hospital emergency medicine
- Cardiothoracic anesthesia and intensive care
- Scquizzato T, Bonaccorso A, Consonni M, Scandroglio AM, Swol J, Landoni G, Zangrillo A. Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized and propensity-matched studies. Artif Organs. 2022.
- Scquizzato T, Belloni O, Semeraro F, Greif R, Metelmann C, Landoni G, Zangrillo A. Dispatching citizens as first responders to out-of-hospital cardiac arrests: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Emerg Med. 2022 Mar 10. doi: 10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000915
- Scquizzato T, Semeraro F. No more unwitnessed out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in the future thanks to technology. Resuscitation. 2022 Jan;170:79-81. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2021.11.010.
- Forti A, van Veelen MJ, Scquizzato T, Dal Cappello T, Palma M, Strapazzon G. Mechanical cardiopulmonary resuscitation in microgravity and hypergravity conditions: A manikin study during parabolic flight. Am J Emerg Med. 2021
- Scquizzato T, D’Amico F, Rocchi M, Saracino M, Stella F, Landoni G, Zangrillo A. Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest System-of-Care: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2021 Sep 14:1-12. doi: 10.1080/10903127.2021.1967535.
- Scquizzato T, Landoni G, Bordoni G, Zaraca L, Monti G, Zangrillo A. AED training with a 3D-printed model and a smartphone app. Resuscitation. 2021 Dec;169:95-96. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2021.10.033.
- Gamberini L, Tartivita CN, Guarnera M, Allegri D, Baroncini S, Scquizzato T, Tartaglione M, Alberto Mazzoli C, Chiarini V, Picoco C, Coniglio C, Semeraro F, Gordini G. External validation and insights about the calibration of the return of spontaneous circulation after cardiac arrest (RACA) score. Resusc Plus. 2022 Apr 1;10:100225. doi: 10.1016/j.resplu.2022.100225.
- Scquizzato T, Landoni G, Paoli A, Lembo R, Fominskiy E, Kuzovlev A, Likhvantsev V, Zangrillo A. Effects of COVID-19 pandemic on out-of-hospital cardiac arrests: A systematic review. Resuscitation. 2020 Dec;157:241-247. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2020.10.020.